We explain how to protect you against possible card fraud while shopping online and making payments online.
When it comes to managing your finances, all precautions are little. Today, the theft of credit card data is as dangerous as the theft of the “plastic” (physical card) itself. Knowing only the numbering of it, cybercriminals are already in a position to make purchases over the Internet and thus put the safety of your money at serious risk. Therefore, especially if you operate online, remember to always be very careful when it comes to keeping information related to your card and other banking products secret , and never forget to regularly check the movements that are charged to your checking account.
How can you protect yourself from potential credit card fraud when shopping online?
There are multiple advantages of operating with a credit card online. In order to enjoy the benefits of ecommerce platforms without giving up the protection of your money, always try to:
- Connect to the Internet through a secure network connection. Also, check the good condition of your device (computer, mobile phone, tablet …) and that it is free of viruses and other potentially dangerous ‘software’.
- Only pay on trusted websites. In this regard, check that the ‘URL’ address is secure; that is, it begins with the code ‘https’.
- Carefully check the legal information of the portal where you are going to make your purchase. And it is that fraudulent web pages do not usually have this section. Also check to which website the payment gateway leads and if the payment system has approved verification stamps.
- Before buying, read the comments and reviews that other Internet users have made of that online business to which you are going to give your bank details.
- Be wary of “bargains” and “incredible offers”. Be suspicious when a product or service has a sale price that is tremendously lower than market standards.
- Finally, activate and then deactivate your credit card (‘On / Off system’) each time you are ready to buy; This way you will prevent them from operating with it while you are not using it.
These guidelines will help you avoid any fraud with your credit card when buying online , making each online purchase be carried out with total freedom and without risk of your data being stolen by third parties.
What should you do if you experience credit card fraud while shopping online?
If you suddenly find out that you have been the victim of credit card fraud when making an online purchase, act immediately and perform the following steps:
- Block the credit card: first, contact the bank and let them know that your credit card is being used to make payments that you have not authorized.
- Report fraud: Reporting to the relevant authorities the fraudulent use of your credit card by another person is as important as notifying the bank to cancel it. Keep in mind that keeping a copy of having filed an official complaint is an inexcusable requirement in order to recover your money.
• Request a refund of the amount defrauded: finally, after having blocked your card and having reported the crime, claim a refund of the money that has been stolen from you. On this point, you have to be aware that the bank will not be responsible for the fraud if it has been committed due to a deliberate breach or serious negligence of your obligations as a cardholder; So remember that you should never communicate the data related to your “plastic” to third parties.